Skip to main content

Manifest to Achieve It

 A few days before 2021 ended, I got a present from an old friend. She sent me images via Messenger and right below it, she wrote that she was proud of me for I made it happen. 

Apparently, it was photos of my entry from her old slam book which I signed back in 2003 when we were just high school freshmen. I clicked the photos and my initial response was, "gosh, what ugly handwriting!" 😅 I asked for clearer photos to see what she meant by her being "proud of me" and there is the greatest achievement part I wrote: if I will be a lawyer.

It was already past 11 in the evening when I zoomed in on the photos and yet I felt so awake. Like my friend, I was amazed by the revelation because firstly, I cannot remember ever actively dreaming of becoming a lawyer, and secondly, OMG YES, I REALLY DID MAKE IT HAPPEN!


"Manifesting" is one of the online crazes of this pandemic. To manifest is to make something obvious. When you are manifesting, you think aspirational thoughts to make them real. Basically, a Gen Z variation of the classic Bible verse, "Ask and you shall receive."

One of the popular ways of "manifesting" is by posting about your goals online. If you're from the Philippines, you've probably seen the meme where Maine Mendoza, referring to actor Arjo Atayde, tweeted "arjo cutie" almost two decades ago when the former was still a nobody. Then they got to work on a project and in 2018, they officially became a couple. How cool is that, di ba? Pangarap mo lang noon, katabi mo na ngayon! 😂 That's essentially how you manifest. You dream so loud that God or any supreme being that you believe in, gets bugged by it, indulges your desperation, and then grants your deepest desires. Syempre, the most important ingredient in manifesting is acting on it. You can't get a girl or anything for that matter if you are just confined in your room, right? Nasa Diyos ang awa, nasa tao ang gawa.

Why am I going on about this? Well, first, the Bar is in about three weeks. It's gonna be a crazy January for this year's bar takers due to huge changes in the exam format. I can only imagine how frantic everyone is and I applaud all those who continue to soldier on despite the circumstances. Second, as I mentioned earlier, I cannot believe that I actually wrote about becoming a lawyer! I remember kasi my go-to ambition when signing slum books back in high school was to become a nurse which was the most in-demand job before. Lahat gusto maging nurse noon kasi yun ang ticket mo to go abroad! But I did not take entrance exams naman to nursing schools. Bandwagoner lang? LOL. And third, for years I kept on asking myself if I was truly meant to become an attorney. I consistently questioned my capabilities and some of my choices. Despite overcoming the bar, I still get insecure at times! 💔  

So I take that old slam book entry as a poignant yearend gift as I make my way to a new decade, a new season in my life. An affirmation that I am where I'm supposed to be. It brought back so many memories and made me reexamine my life. It made me appreciate all the challenges and feel grateful for every lesson learned. It made me realize how far I've come and how much farther I can go. God has been so good to me, I am truly thankful for every little thing. And as I embrace my married life and set out with my husband, I take it as a gentle reminder from childhood — to never stop manifesting. Despite the hardships brought by the pandemic and life in general, I should carry on and never give up for even in the most mundane of times, God does listen!

May this year be full of manifests coming true! Happy New Year, everyone! 💝

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life So Far

In two days the results of the 2017 Bar Examinations will be released. On May 3rd, it will be a year since ours were posted. A year since my life made a huge turn.  I've been trying to write about the whole Bar experience but I still can't organize my thoughts. Too many memories come and go, and sometimes, I am left with nothing. At all. Though I did write drafts of other stories that I'd like to keep here. A birthday post. A latest project post. A post about the danger of not giving a f uc k. But I've deleted all of them, just now. I don't know 😕 Have you ever had that? That moment when you are dying to tell someone about these amazing things happening in your life but for some reason you just can't?  So I'll just sum it up: life has been good, so far.

The One Where We Finally Said "I Do"

Today marks the seventh day since Ambin and I got hitched, aka our first "weeksary".  Rings by  Little White Pouch The hubs got up early this morning to prepare our breakfast. I spent a few minutes more in bed as I was still sleepy. We talked until midnight last night about how—seven days in—we still find it incredible that we are now husband and wife! We've been laughing at the thought that it's like we're just playing house. Ambin says that until I called his mother "Nanay", he wouldn't have realized that yes, we are indeed married already. Haha. Nothing much has changed except that now, we are inseparable—we cook together, eat together, watch Netflix together, and just the other day, did Zumba together. There's been a lot of playful roasting from both sides, too. This is probably the longest we've been together physically and so far, wala pa namang napipikon. Haha. It's a good kind of strange to be in this new chapter of our lives. Des...

Down in the Dumps

For weeks I have been staring into space, unaware of what I have been feeling. It seems like an endless cycle — one day I would feel empty, extremely lonely, and inadequate, then on the next, I'd be quite okay. I would then try to keep myself busy and focus on my study. But five minutes into my reading, I would grab my phone, play Village City and forget the world. At least for a minute or so. I would decide to go out to relax, but just when I had already put on my lipstick, I would sit on my bed and then change back to my jammies.  I do not want to see and talk to people. Last night, I stayed up late to talk to my boyfriend, Marvin, who has become my pseudo-therapist for the last five years. He is in Riyadh, KSA so I have to wait until about 12 midnight (PH time) to call him as it is around that time that he gets off work. All my hopes, fears, disappointments, frustrations, joys — all that I think and feel — I tell him. Well, maybe not  everything because there are times tha...