Skip to main content

Quaranthings

It's been four months since I assumed office as a Public Attorney and made Calbayog City my new home. A hundred days since I met my new family, seventeen weeks since I realized the promise I made to myself back in law school and three thousand hours of being grateful for this opportunity. It's been a rollercoaster ride ever since.

I immediately attended hearings during my first week in the office. The previous lawyer assigned to my branch was appointed as a judge so needless to say, I have large shoes to fill. I didn't have time to mingle with my officemates for I only had a day or two to read the records of the cases set for that week. On my first appearance as a public attorney, I presented a witness in one case and requested some time to familiarize myself with the records in another. Thank God my DPA/immediate supervisor was kind enough to assist me and helped me navigate my way through. I wonder what impression I gave to the court and my fellow lawyers! šŸ˜…

Just as I was warming myself to everyone at work and settling in my new apartment, Calbayog City was placed under enhanced community quarantine following the President's declaration of state public health emergency. Coronavirus has become widespread in Metro Manila. We were sent home and worked from there. However, since everybody was advised to stay home, legal services were almost unnecessary. 

To be honest, I've been having a hard time putting into words the experience I went through the past four months. I can never illustrate it perfectly. It went like a blur but in my head, the struggles remain vivid. We were locked inside our houses, prohibited to go outside except in cases of emergency or when we had to buy food and other necessities. People weren't allowed to interact face to face unless they are one meter apart and with face masks on. Those who were sick, old or minors weren't allowed to set foot out of their doorsteps. Stores were shut down. Supplies ran low. Churches and recreational facilities were off-limits. Gatherings and big celebrations were banned. Even going to the beach would land you to the police station. It was so frustrating, anxiety-inducing, infuriating, and desperate that until now I still can't make sense to the whole situation. It's like we're fighting to survive in an apocalyptic movie!


By May, we were told to report back to our places of assignment. I had to sneak myself out after sparking the ire of our local chief executive. I had to walk to and from the office because public transportation was suspended. I had to fall in line for half an hour just to get into the grocery store. I had to learn how to cook since our suking carenderia was closed. I haven't been home for two months to avoid being put in quarantine. We had to postpone our wedding.

Still, my troubles pale in comparison to what the majority have had to endurećƒ¼physically, mentally, and economically. Some had it way worse. Most have lost their jobs or income. Others are still stranded. Hundreds bade their loved ones goodbye over the phone. Many did not even get that chance and died surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits. Thousands are hungry. A lot of dreams were put on hold. And perhaps, everyone is worried about what tomorrow brings.

This crisis brought out the best and the worst in all of us. The government has been criticized for its slow and inefficient response. On the other hand, the private sector has earned praise for helping our frontline workers. Constitutional rights violations have become regular headlines in the daily news. But then incredible selfless acts go viral on social media. Real-life heroes emerged. Villains were unmasked. 

This pandemic highlighted our humanity, too. How, despite our superficial facades and social status, we're all vulnerable after all. How we need each other. How important our roles are, may we be a student, a cashier, or a doctor. How being close means so much. And how even the simplest act, such as staying indoors, can change things significantly. 

We are in the "new normal" but fear still lingers. As of this writing, there are 38,805 COVID cases in the Philippines with 1,274 reported deaths. They say the worst is yet to come but I don't think we could still endure for much longer. I can't wait for this to be over! We could all take a break, don't you think?

 

Comments