Skip to main content

The One Where We Finally Said "I Do"

Today marks the seventh day since Ambin and I got hitched, aka our first "weeksary". 

The hubs got up early this morning to prepare our breakfast. I spent a few minutes more in bed as I was still sleepy. We talked until midnight last night about how—seven days in—we still find it incredible that we are now husband and wife! We've been laughing at the thought that it's like we're just playing house. Ambin says that until I called his mother "Nanay", he wouldn't have realized that yes, we are indeed married already. Haha. Nothing much has changed except that now, we are inseparable—we cook together, eat together, watch Netflix together, and just the other day, did Zumba together. There's been a lot of playful roasting from both sides, too. This is probably the longest we've been together physically and so far, wala pa namang napipikon. Haha. It's a good kind of strange to be in this new chapter of our lives. Despite the occasional awkwardness, I like having my husband around and I like being married! 😊


As I mentioned in my previous post, we were really set to wed this year. We were supposed to hold it at our parish church last July 18th. However, like all other weddings, we had to move it because of this pandemic. We then thought of celebrating it this December but eventually changed our minds because it still won't do since we have family members flying from high-risk areas. We couldn't set a new date either because everything's uncertain for now. I cannot stress enough how stressful everything has been for us, for me in particular. I kept telling Ambin how the universe seems to make it impossible for us to be together. He would calm me down and tell me, "it's okay, what's important is both of us want this. Both of us are decided to end up with each other. Both of us want to get married. Stop overthinking." Yet how can you not question fate when it keeps messing your intentions up?

Last month, we decided to screw it and have a civil wedding instead. We chose October 15, 2020 as our wedding date as it's easy for me to remember (10/15/20 πŸ˜…), and Calbayog City Hall of Justice as our venue. Since we will now have two weddings, Ambin and I wanted our first one to be extra special, to be OUR wedding. No fanfare, grand decorations, and numerous guests. While we love our families and friends, we wanted it to be just as two. Unfortunately, no RTC judge in the city was available on the said date so we had to find another court. Thankfully, Judge Myrna of Sta. Margarita Municipal Trial Court in Sta. Margarita, Samar, a former PAO lawyer, immediately cleared her schedule for us. 

Everything was set. The court, solemnizing officer, documents, witnesses, food and reception, photographer, and make-up artist. Then on October 10th, less than a week before our wedding, Calbayog City was placed under hard lockdown. Another wedding postponement. Imagine my frustration and disappointment when the executive order was passed! Why. Can't. They. Leave. Us. Alone. 😫

I made another miserable phone call to my then fiancΓ© who was supposed to travel to Calbayog City two days thereafter. I was expecting him to chide me for being ~overdramatic~ but instead, he acknowledged my frustration and told me not to worry for our time will come. He again reminded me what's important—us. Tired of everything, I simply said okay. Maybe it's not yet our time. Maybe there are bigger things in store for us. But I did not want to go down without putting one last fight. So over the weekend, I kept repeating the same prayer: Dear God, I don't know what you want for us but we really want to get married already so we could finally be together. If this is part of your plan, please make this happen. 

On Monday, October 12th, the day Ambin was supposed to travel to the city, I was at the office staring at my computer and checking all of the cases set for next week. And I don't know what's gotten into me that out of the blue, I texted him, "I'm going home." I called my parents to ask if they could come to pick me up and if they could find a solemnizing officer available on our chosen date. When Mama called back to give affirmative answers to both concerns, I knew God has answered my prayers. I filed for leave and literally weathered Tropical Depression Ofel to snatch our happily ever after.

When I got home, Ambin and I talked about our preparations. We only listed about fifty guests—all family and closest friends. We picked our menu and divided the tasks. Our families came together and helped us, no questions asked. No one asked why everything's rushed; why we appear in a hurry to tie the knot. Why only a day of preparation. Why only a few people. Why hold the ceremony in another municipality. Nobody questioned anybody. Instead, they asked what they could do to help. 

On our wedding day, I woke up early and washed the utensils we were bringing to the reception. Ambin, on the other hand, helped in the food preparations. At 9 AM, I took a bath, dried my hair, and put on make-up for the first time in a long time. I wore an embroidered cotton dress I ordered online and my grandmother's pair of gold hoop earrings. Then, my sister came and beeped her car, signaling that it's time to go. Ambin and I rode with her and my nephew. My in-laws were in another car with my parents and our witnesses, my aunt and uncle, drove their own.

It was drizzling on the way to Arteche, E. Samar. Ambin, who dreads long car drives, was looking ill. He was feeling dizzy from all the climbs and curves. Thirty minutes later, we were at the municipal hall. The place was packed with clients, and relief goods to be donated to another municipality. Mayor Roland was still at a meeting so we had to wait for a while. We were looked after by one of his kind staff, Robert. At lunch, his office sent us lunch packs and offered apologies for keeping us waiting. They're so nice! I can't thank them enough for accommodating us despite the very short notice.

Mayor gave us a pep talk about marriage and shared some of his experiences as a family man. He also asked our parents for pieces of advice. It was funny because all of them basically told us to be patient with each other because apparently, marriage is a struggle. No one in that room mentioned that married life can be fun and exciting. I almost asked them, is the world of married couple really that traumatizing? Blink once if you want out! πŸ˜‚

Afterward, we all stood up and Mayor Roland began the ceremony. Now, neither of us prepared our vows because neither of us thought about it, to be honest. Haha. We thought we'd just say I do! But then he asked us to say our vows and it was embarrassing because we had to think about something on the spot! Why did we miss this? Hahaha. At around 2 PM, we slipped our wedding bands into each other's ring finger and were pronounced as husband and wife. SA WAKAS! Thank you, Lord! 😭

A few nights ago, my husband and I were talking about our wedding. From the events leading to our day to the preparations, ceremony, party, and guests—I loved how everything turned out. He agreed and said that he's glad we held it at home, as opposed to our initial plan. During the pamamanhikan, our families expressed their desire for us to hold the wedding in our hometown so we can celebrate the occasion together. We said we'd talk about it but decided against it. I guess, our families' wish was more in line with God's plan so He brought us home. 

Our wedding may not have been exactly what we pictured it would be but I can say in all honesty that it was happier, more heartfelt, and meaningful with all our loved ones sharing in our joy. And besides, we still got what we wanted—an intimate, low-key, and sincere celebration of our lifetime commitment to each other.

Here's to claiming our happily ever afters and taking charge of our future! πŸŽ‰



Comments