Skip to main content

Work & Women

I just realized that I haven't posted anything about work recently. Actually, I don't think I have shared anything interesting about my job at all! LOL


So anyway, we all know how important March is for every equality-loving individual. This month, we celebrate women of all shapes and sizes, regardless of their opinions or social status. We focus on their achievements and contributions, as well as shed light on their continuing struggles in the face of various issues and challenges.

Of course, when we say all women, we mean ALL — including those who are deprived of liberty. To honor this month in our own little way, our office opted to conduct an outreach activity by visiting all the female PDLs in the city. We prepared hygiene kits and some snacks for them to enjoy. We would have wanted to hear more from them but sadly, the BJMP still does not allow visitors in their jail facilities. So we just took pictures from outside as they pass the kits around.



The persons deprived of liberty or PDLs are some of the most neglected sectors in our society. Being detainees, they are cut off from the rest of the world. They cannot exercise all their rights. They cannot possess more than their clothes on their backs. They have been judged the moment their names were uttered. It is especially hard for women PDLs who are mothers as they do not get to see their children grow. A lot of them never really get to do anything for themselves, but wait patiently for the day they are set free. 

After we distributed our little packages, we conducted legal consultation with our clients in the Calbayog City Police Station. We updated them with their cases and answered their other concerns. Personally, I'd say it was definitely a productive day. I just hope this crisis ends sooner so we can talk to our detained clients properly. 

To my fellow women, may we all rise above everyone's expectations and stand strong against discrimination in work or otherwise. May we serve our communities with grace and compassion. May we make things happen, how we want them to happen. We are strong, we are capable. We are women, after all! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life So Far

In two days the results of the 2017 Bar Examinations will be released. On May 3rd, it will be a year since ours were posted. A year since my life made a huge turn.  I've been trying to write about the whole Bar experience but I still can't organize my thoughts. Too many memories come and go, and sometimes, I am left with nothing. At all. Though I did write drafts of other stories that I'd like to keep here. A birthday post. A latest project post. A post about the danger of not giving a f uc k. But I've deleted all of them, just now. I don't know 😕 Have you ever had that? That moment when you are dying to tell someone about these amazing things happening in your life but for some reason you just can't?  So I'll just sum it up: life has been good, so far.

The One Where We Finally Said "I Do"

Today marks the seventh day since Ambin and I got hitched, aka our first "weeksary".  Rings by  Little White Pouch The hubs got up early this morning to prepare our breakfast. I spent a few minutes more in bed as I was still sleepy. We talked until midnight last night about how—seven days in—we still find it incredible that we are now husband and wife! We've been laughing at the thought that it's like we're just playing house. Ambin says that until I called his mother "Nanay", he wouldn't have realized that yes, we are indeed married already. Haha. Nothing much has changed except that now, we are inseparable—we cook together, eat together, watch Netflix together, and just the other day, did Zumba together. There's been a lot of playful roasting from both sides, too. This is probably the longest we've been together physically and so far, wala pa namang napipikon. Haha. It's a good kind of strange to be in this new chapter of our lives. Des...

Down in the Dumps

For weeks I have been staring into space, unaware of what I have been feeling. It seems like an endless cycle — one day I would feel empty, extremely lonely, and inadequate, then on the next, I'd be quite okay. I would then try to keep myself busy and focus on my study. But five minutes into my reading, I would grab my phone, play Village City and forget the world. At least for a minute or so. I would decide to go out to relax, but just when I had already put on my lipstick, I would sit on my bed and then change back to my jammies.  I do not want to see and talk to people. Last night, I stayed up late to talk to my boyfriend, Marvin, who has become my pseudo-therapist for the last five years. He is in Riyadh, KSA so I have to wait until about 12 midnight (PH time) to call him as it is around that time that he gets off work. All my hopes, fears, disappointments, frustrations, joys — all that I think and feel — I tell him. Well, maybe not  everything because there are times tha...